Saturday 30 May 2009

The Long Goodbye

It's been a funny few days. I took Abi and Fraser up to my mum's in Anglesey - it's about a 5 hour drive away, but as you cross the bridge to the island, you also slip back in time. There is no internet connection and my mum's house is in a Vodafone blackspot. So if I want to use my mobile, I walk down to the beach. where the reception and scenery is perfect. I have felt disconnected all week, especially with so much to organise. Gus has been filling in for me as my PA, as well as working his last shifts at Starbucks.

It was Abi's birthday on Tuesday so we had a birthday tea with delicious M&S chocolate cake. My sister Amanda and her two kids Ethan and Tara arrived on the Wednesday and we had more birthday celebrations - this time with homemade fairy cakes and millionaires shortbread. It was great to see my family again, but it was tinged with sadness. Partly because I am about to move a hell of a long way away, and partly because it is exactly one year since my dad died. We visited the churchyard yesterday and placed flowers on his grave. I said my goodbyes to him too, again, one year on.

And then today, more goodbye's. There are going to be quite a few farewell scenes played out over the next 2 weeks. Could be sad - but then I am British - so I guess it will be more like Brief Encounter. Stiff upper lip and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment