Saturday 29 August 2009

The Yanks are coming

Wow - it's been one hell of a week. And for the first time on this blog, I can actually post about my work. Why? Because the secret project that I have been working on since I came here was finally announced to the media on Tuesday. Woolworths has formed a joint venture with Lowes to both buy Danks (a hardware wholesaler) and open 150 new big box home improvement stores in Australia. Lowes are the 2nd biggest home improvement retailer in the world with 1700 stores across the USA. They are based out of Charlotte, North Carolina.

This is huge news and has been all over the media - it caused a big leap in Woolworths share price and a drop in the share price of Wesfarmers, who operate Bunnings - currently the only big box hardware operator. It's been great to be at the centre of all of this - I have been hosting the Americans all week, taking them all over the place to give them a feel for Australia! We've been presenting as well as wining and dining - they were a bit freaked out by the Moreton Bay Bugs on the menu at Cafe Sydney, and I have had to translate when ordering coffee - an Americano with milk becomes a long black with milk.

All I have to do now is find all the product to go in the stores! But hey -that's what I came out here to do. Can't wait...it's gonna be fun.

2 comments:

  1. You know what bay bugs are right?

    I'm so glad the cat is finally out of the bag, it's hard having friends with mystery jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart Lowes! Hope there's one near me.

    ReplyDelete