Monday 31 August 2009

These boots were made for walking



Not really sure why Gus took a picture of my calves......though they are the slimmest part of me! He took this pic as we were headed across Darling Harbour to Wynard Station early on Sunday morning, from where we caught a bus. Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd write about myself - involving as it does exercise, public transport and being awake on a Sunday before 10am. Still, somehow, he persuaded me to join him on a walk from The Spit Bridge to Manly. The lure of a lunch in Manly may have been the attraction - what he failed to tell me was just how strenuous this walk would be. I knew it was 10k - but to be perfectly honest - I don't really get metric distances. I was part of the generation that started with imperial measurements, and then moved onto the metric system. I know that metric is supposed to be easier - for some of us, it remains a mystery. I can cope with millimetres, centimetres and metres, as I mentally switch them back to inches, feet and yards in my head. Kilometres confuse me. As do kilogrammes. (I still cook using ounces & pounds) And I have no idea what a kilojoule is. Of course, this may explain my current waist size.
10k. It took us 2 1/2 hours. Flat at the start, and flat at the end. But in the middle, we climbed up Sydney National Harbour Park - quite a few steep and uneven steps. The views at the top were worth the breathless panting though.







Heading back downhill was much easier, and the scenery continued to be wonderful. Spring has definitely arrived as the local flowers were starting to bloom.




Arriving in Manly I felt a sense of achievement, so rewarded myself with a chicken burger and a slice of cheescake at one of Gus' chosen coffee emporiums. Equilibrium fully restored, we headed back home using yet more public transport.


2 comments:

  1. After two years, these kind of conversions are still really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to do this walk. Looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete